The Drive - Do You Have It?



Every moment not spent writing tells me to write.

At some point I need to sleep, but why am I sleeping when this book isn't yet finished?

And once this book is finished it will be time to move on to the next one. And the one after that. And the one after that. Books must be written before they can be sold.

My life is stable in some ways, but not necessarily in ways I want. I made some pretty stupid mistakes to end up where I am, but I have a place to live and time to write, so writing is my ticket out of here and back to creating a life of my own. I'm good for nothing else.

Motivation? Yeah, I got that. Got that in the bag.

How do I have time to write? Because I choose to. Anyone who says they have no time to write is a liar. How you spend your time is a choice. We all have 24 hours in a day. You can't choose not to write and then say you don't have time to write. The real reason you're not writing is probably fear of one kind or another: fear of failure, fear of success, fear of rejection, fear that you're more of a dirty perv than you want to admit to yourself, fear your family will find out and disown you, fear your significant other has no clue about your true sexual depths.

Fear, not time. Time is something everyone has--until they don't. When your time is up, what will you regret? Will I regret that I wrote dirty stories? No, but I would definitely regret not writing them.

Writer's block? My bank account is too empty to enjoy the luxury of writer's block. There's no such thing as writer's block, only undisciplined, unmotivated writers.

Ideas? I'm full of delightfully filthy ideas. I doubt I'd ever run out. But even if I was the most unimaginative fucker on earth, I could still write erotica. All the plots and templates are already there in every other story that's already been written. All I'd have to do is write my own versions of them. You could be utterly lacking in vision and simply emulate the top sellers in a category and you'd be fine. So there's no lacking of ideas.

It all comes down to drive. You either have it or you don't. No one can give it to you. You acquire it by simply making a decision to have it. Then every decision you make from then on is in support of it. It's not easy, but it's simple.

The drive. Do you have it?





Get free stories, blog posts, and announcements

* indicates required



photo credit: March 05, 2013 at 10:23PM via photopin (license)

Comments